Saturday, April 14, 2012

Natural Black Hair, I have to ask...?

I just wonder why people think of nappy black hair as a bad thing. I just read a "best answer" by a black girl who says she is fully black but has wavy and curly hair and that makes her hair nice. In other words "good hair". She then calls tightly curled and highly textured hair "nappy and buckshot", as to prove that not all black people have that kind of hair. I'm just curious as to why nappy hair is considered ugly and why loosely curled or relaxed hair is considered acceptable. I cut my nearly bra-strap length relaxed hair a few months ago to be 100% natural, and I LOVE it. Only serious answers, racist or otherwise stupid answers will be reported.



Natural Black Hair, I have to ask...?

This is because, unfortunately, the European standard of beauty (silky, long hair and light skin) has permeated black society so that lighter skin and "whiter-looking" hair is more desirable. This same effect can be observed in other minority communities: Many East Asians now have surgery on their eyelids to make their eyes appear rounder and more European. Many Indian women use skin-lightening creams and avoid the sun in order to maintain a lighter skin tone. And of course, black women have been chemically relaxing their hair for ages.



Natural Black Hair, I have to ask...?

Maybe she was refering to the people who do absolutely nothing to their hair and have bad hygeine? I am sure you do SOMETHING to your hair. I like alot of different hairstyles and all different types of hair, but I also think that hair (of any color or texture) that is unkept is nasty.



Natural Black Hair, I have to ask...?

well, on most races nappy hair doesn't look that great, but on black people, it looks awesome!



Natural Black Hair, I have to ask...?

some people just like to label things good or bad there is actually no real good reason why people do that i like natural hair whatever way it is im not racist or big on labelin things im sure your hair looks great girl!



Natural Black Hair, I have to ask...?

myspace.com/thewonderfullworldofjd



it isn't spam.



just look at my pics bc i dont have any pictures of my hair on myspace.



and people think black hair is a bad thing because of an internalized self-hate dating back from slavery.



Natural Black Hair, I have to ask...?

I don't even like the expression nappy. Why is our hair given such negative connotations? I so agree with you girl. I do wear a relaxer. but i also love my natural hair. When i go without a relaxer for a while, i get "When are you going to do your hair? " Excuse me. Once it's combed and washed it is done. I love my hair. Straight or not straight :) We all have to learn how to love ourselves the way God made us. :)



Natural Black Hair, I have to ask...?

Personally, I love hair with tight curls. I have friends who deem their own hair nappy and claim to hate it because it's difficult to manage. Putting this kind of hair into a pony tail for instance, makes the roots not lie flat and pull back tight. In other words, the chunks of hair reveal the scalp against the head or they simply stand up creating a bump. If you can't handle that, then why not leave your hair loose or in a stylish head band?! I think that what makes your hair do nice is how you wear it yourself! Good for you in going natural.



Natural Black Hair, I have to ask...?

Media promotes straight and wavy hair, but doesn't show beautiful nappy hair, so people follow it.



Natural Black Hair, I have to ask...?

Im black and lots of people in my family have natural hair. I think its beautiful and plan on goind natural soon. I think people have a problem with Natural hair because they have a negative association with it. People assume that natural means "nappy" and thats not true, natural hair can be as beautiful as relaxed. I think that these feelings may date back to slavery and alot of african americans wanted to be accepted so they tried to stray away from their natural heritage as much as possible.



Natural Black Hair, I have to ask...?

Dont worry about shallow people who take things in from our past. To some extent it is not their fault as some girls get told that their hair is "good" from a young age.



P.S Nappy comes from the term "Naps" invented by africans to describe the seperate coild on out heads. Its a loving word, Nappturality all the way baybee!

No comments:

Post a Comment