Friday, April 20, 2012

Is it absolutely necessary to bleach black hair before dyeing to achieve dark or medium brown?

I have black hair- the blackest black can ever be. Even when it is under bright light, it does not have the slightest brown tint. I wanted a natural looking brown color so I dyed it with tints of nature brand of dye. I used dark ash blonde thinking that the lightness of blond would counter the darkness of my hair and I would end up with medium brown. However, my hair color ended up dark dark brown.. still almost black when in normal light. But when in very bright light, u can see the brown. I want to lighten my hair further and am thinking of using revlon colorsilk medium ash brown. do u think it will work? or should i use light ash brown to get medium brown on my current hair? or is it inevitable to bleach my hair? I really don't want to bleach.. So wat do u think I should do? can u recommend any other product? oh by the way.. I like ash coz i don't like red or brassy tints in my hair. Thanks!



Is it absolutely necessary to bleach black hair before dyeing to achieve dark or medium brown?

Yes, you must bleach. If you insist on doing this yourself, buy a kit of Feria 205 (Extra Bleach blonding - Reach for the Bleach). Put THAT on and lighten it until it is a few shades lighter than what you are trying to achieve (careful, that stuff WORKS!!!). My hair seemed like nothing was happening for two minutes, and then it transformed to cafe au lait the next minute. Once your hair is lighter, then the brown will stick (if you leave a few strands sporadically out of the brown, you may get a nice highlight effect). Normal box brown hair color doesn't have much peroxide in it, because very few people lighten to brown (usually we cover grays or lowlight to blond).



As soon as you think it is the right color, IMMEDIATELY START rinsing. Time is of the essence. I would actually start the rinse water in the tub or whatever as soon as you detect noticeable lightening. Don't wait, that stuff works or you'll end up with overprocessed platinum.

No comments:

Post a Comment